Drupal 7 Template

You are here

Teaching Licensure Requirements

Graduate students interested in teaching licensure must fulfill all Agricultural Education Foundation Courses and complete an individualized list of coursework based on their past educational experiences. (For example, students without a degree related to agriculture will be required to complete more courses.) 

This individualized list is built through completing a “Request for Academic Audit” form through the Council on Teacher Education.

State of Illinois certification requirements include a minimum of 2,000 hours of employment experience in agriculture. Graduate level teacher licensure students must maintain a 3.0 GPA or above to remain in good standing. Students enrolled in this concentration cannot receive a grade lower than a “C” in any of the required teacher certification courses. For teacher education requirements applicable to all curricula, visit the Council on Teacher Education website.

The following courses are often required to gain licensure:

Teacher Licensure Required Courses 

Agricultural Education Courses

  • AGED 410 – Observation and Program Analysis
  • AGED 510 – Early Field Experience (350) & Program Delivery and Eval (450)
  • AGED 511 - Professional Development in Agricultural Education

Education Courses 

  • CI 473 – Literacy in Content Areas
  • EPS 410 – Professional Ethics in Education
  • EPSY 400 - Psychology of Learning in Education (can be substituted for EPSY 201 if completed as undergraduate)
  • SPED 517 - Disability Issues in SPED
  • EDPR 442 - Education Practice in Secondary Education (student teaching practicum)

Agriculture Technical Subject Matter Courses

  • ACE 231 - Food and Agribusiness Management
  • ANSC 100 - Introduction to Animal Sciences
  • CPSC 112 - Introduction to Crop Sciences
  • HORT 100 - Introduction to Horticulture
  • FSHN 101 - Introduction to Food Science and Nutrition
  • TSM course - Technical Systems in Agriculture (TSM 100) or equivalent course recommended
  • AGED 549 – Independent Study (Final Project) or AGED 599 – Thesis